Nannies: How to Register for a DNI and CUIL

If you’re a nanny looking forward to working for a family in Argentina, or a family employing a nanny here for the first time, you need to know how to make it legal. Specifically, how to register for a DNI (Documento Nacional de Identidad) and a CUIL. Here’s what you need to know:

What is a DNI and a CUIL?

DNI stands for Documento Nacional de Identidad and it is the identity card necessary for working legally in Argentina, or for permanently living in the country as a resident (and not a tourist.) A CUIL (Código Único de Identificación Laboral) is needed by employers for the purposes of registering you legally for work in the country.

Before you get a DNI or a CUIL you need to apply for residency on a temporary basis in Argentina. The following info is taken from the government immigration site for information for employers hiring a foreign worker.

Kids in BA via Beatrice Murch/ Flickr

1. Apply for residency

La Residencia Precaria – temporary residence – is granted so you can apply for a DNI and a CUIL, and work legally in Argentina. For more details about residency click here. To process the temporary residency go to Departamento Gestión de Trámites de la Dirección de Radicaciones – Dirección Nacional de Migraciones at Av. Antártida Argentina 1355 in Edificio 4. You need to apply for an appointment online

2. Get your documents in order

A set of documents is required for processing the temporary residence, including: 

  • Antecedentes Penales Argentinos: Police background records check from Argentina
  • Antecedentes Penales país de Origen : Police background records check from country of origin
  • 2 photos 4×4
  • Passport and a full photocopy of all pages in the passport
  • Certificado de Domicilio: Proof of address
  • Entry stamp into the country

The fee is currently $600 pesos for non-Mercosur citizens and $300 for Mercosur.

3. Obtain a DNI

Once you have completed all the paperwork for the temporary residency you can apply for your DNI in the same building by waiting in line, paying the fee, and having it turn up at your home address.

Or, if you already have residency you can go to the Centros de Documentación Rápida (main office is Hipólito Yrigoyen 952) authorized by the Dirección Nacional de Migraciones in Buenos Aires city, or to the Registros Civiles in the province or elsewhere in the country to get your DNI. More details on how to get a DNI here

4. Obtain a CUIL

Once you have residency papers and a DNI you can get a CUIL by applying at ANSES (Administración Nacional de la Seguridad Social). Go to the ANSES website to find out more. It’s a simple procedure.

ANSES via Administración Nacional de la Seguridad Social/ Flickr

The whole process can take some time to complete, so it is worth starting as far in advance as possible before you are due to start work, or to have your nanny work for you. A little patience is required – bureaucracy is not Argentina’s strong point!

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top
Scroll to Top
Open chat
Hi. Can you tell me how can I help You?