How to Work as a Foreign Nanny in Mexico

What are the requirements to legally work in Mexico City?

There are a lot of reasons why you would like to choose a country like Mexico to offer your nanny services. This Latin American country is full of natural beauties, amazing weather, and all sorts of touristic and cultural activities. People here are warm and welcoming so you’ll have an amazing time and will surely meet a lot of really nice families. Unfortunately, there are several steps you have to take in order to apply for, and get, a working permit in this country.

In order to apply for a work permit in Mexico, it is required that you have a job offer or work contract from a local, or a company registered in Mexico. This is an indispensable requirement since 2012.

This offer must be issued by a natural or legal person, prior to your arrival to the country. It is only in this way that you can obtain a residence card (FM-3); however, the work visa can only be processed in Mexico.

Step by step to getting your working permit

The first step corresponds to whoever is offering the job. They would have to issue an Employer’s Certificate (whether it’s a natural or legal person).  This document will allow a job offer to be extended to a foreigner, and only then can the Visa Authorization procedure be initiated.

Your employer must submit to the corresponding window of the National Institute of Migration (INM) with an official ID, his/her RFC (or Tax Identification Card), as well as his/her last tax declaration.

After this, the National Institute of Migration will analyse the case and issue a final resolution in 30 to 45 days. Upon acceptance, an Internationalization Permit will be issued authorizing you as a foreigner to go to a Mexican consulate and complete an interview where your Work Visa will be delivered. Once the application is approved you will have 90 days to 6 months (depending on each case) to appear before the Mexican Consulate with jurisdiction over your place of residence to request the visa.

In Mexico, a procedure called “Canje” (Exchange) will take place in order for you to obtain the Visa/Residence Card -with a credential-type photo- that accredits you as a foreigner to be able to perform lucrative activities. The visa is issued in 3 to 4 days from the time the application is filed at the Consulate.

There are three situations in which it will be possible for you to stay in Mexico without having to leave the country to start your working permit process (FM-2 Visa):

– If you have a direct family link with a resident status foreigner in Mexico (whether spouse , parents or children)

– If you have a direct family link with a Mexican (such as a spouse, parent or children)

– If you marry a Mexican during your tourist-allowed period of 180 days in which you can remain in the country.

Finally, once you arrive in Mexico, you’ll have a time limit of 30 days to appear at the INM to register upon your arrival

Validity of the Work Visa

The FM-3 work visa is generally valid for an initial period of one year, with yearly one-year extensions possible. The FM-3 can be renewed for a total validity of five years.